When I woke up at morning i saw text messages sent by my friends saying “happy friends day” .Then I wonder today isn’t a friendship day cause today is not first sunday of august.so I decided to write a post about friendship day.
what is friendship day?
- Friendship Day celebrations take place on the first Sunday of August every year.
- The tradition of dedicating a day in honor of friends began in US in 1935.
- Gradually the festival gained popularity and today Friendship Day is celebrated in large number of countries including India.
- On this day people spend time with their friends and express love for them. Exchange of Friendship Day Gifts like flowers, cards and wrist bands is a popular tradition of this occasion.
Friendship Day History
- There is not much literature on Friendship Day history as we celebrate today.
- The United States Congress, in 1935, proclaimed first Sunday of August as the National Friendship Day. Since then, celebration of National Friendship Day became an annual event.
- In 1997, the United Nations named Winnie – the Pooh as the world’s Ambassador of Friendship.
Importance of Friendship in Bible:“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.”
Importance of Friendship in Mahabharata
In the famous Hindu epic ‘Mahabharata’, Lord Krishna demonstrates the many colors of friendship – affection, romance, brotherhood, protection, guidance, intimacy and even teasing. Friendship is all about these and much more.
Friendship Day in India
Friendship Day has come to be celebrated in a big way in India. The noble idea of honoring friends and friendship has really caught on with the youth in India and one can see the festival being enthusiastically celebrated by the youth especially, students.
Friendship Day Celebration Ideas
Tips for Party Planning
- Design a special invite for friends. You may include cartoons, jokes and nice quotes to set the mood of the party
- Inform your friends about the nature of the party whether it will be a day party or over-night party.
- Picnicking would be yet another sprightly thought for your Friendship Day party.
- Once the kind of your Friendship Day party is fixed, decide on the menu.
- You may also plan out indoor or outdoor game session with your friends.
- Also incorporate a music session with your friends.
- capture the precious moments on your Friendship Day party.
- Bind your buds in the friendship bond with the friendship bands.
Friendship Day Quotes
Feel the essence and worth of true friendship with these golden Friendship Quotes.
- Your friend is the man who knows all about you,and still likes you. by Elbert Hubard
- Friendship needs no words. by Dag Hammarskjold
When is Friendship Day?
For this year it AUGUST 5TH (first Sunday) 2012
Significance of Friendship Day
- At times we get so busy in our daily lives that we start taking our friends for granted.
- It is the annual celebration of Friendship Day that reminds us that we must cherish the presence of friends in our lives
- Acknowledge with love the important role they play in our lives.
- One must therefore celebrate friendship on Friendship Day to the fullest and let their friendship soar to newer heights.
once again advanced happy friendship day